Now I have never made a dress before, Lorna has some grand plans for me to make myself a bridesmaids dress to wear at her wedding in October, hopefully there will be a successful post to follow on this :), so this should at least be a bit of practice and on a much smaller scale.
Its a newborn dress and Emmie is nearly 1 so I got out some of her little dresses and using these and the little geranium pattern I created a pattern that would fit her now. I also wanted it to be pretty full in the skirt so am going to add in a lining to the skirt and an extra layer of ruched fabric to the bottom of the lining. I will leave this hanging longer than the main fabric to give a nice contrast strip at the bottom. I’m also going to pop in a pink sash and bow at the waist, should be really pretty when it’s done.
Pattern done it was time to cut it out, I get really nervous cutting lovely fabrics just incase I haven’t quite done my calculations right so I started with the lining just to be sure. It went together really nicely and all was going fine until it came to putting the lining and the main dress together. Apparantly I hadn’t worked this bit out exactly right and my extra ruched layer at the bottom of the lining ended up being the wrong way round L A lot of unpicking and re pinning and stitching later and Emmie’s little dress was finished and looking really lovely. Im very proud of myself for making it for her and it will definitely be one that is treasured long after she has grown out of it.
And here it is in action, Emmie and I at my best friends wedding, looks just right with my bridesmaids dress.